Ola ‘Kiya, Reporting
FOUNDER and Senior Pastor of Fountain of Life Church, Ilupeju, Lagos, Pastor Taiwo Daniel Odukoya lived a very fulfilled life as a devout man of God who had raised giants for the kingdom and re-engineered destinies in his 67 years on earth.
He passed onto glory on Monday August 7, 2023 in the United States of America as announced by the church management on Tuesday.
Here are some 15 things you probably don’t know about him:
1. He was born June 15, 1956 in the city of Kaduna, Colonial Nigeria, where he had his childhood.
2. He had his primary and secondary education at Baptist Primary School, Kigo Road, Kaduna and St. Paul’s College (now known as Kufena College, Wusasa) Zaria.
3. He attended the prestigious University of Ibadan in 1976 where he obtained a degree in Petroleum Engineering in 1981.
4. As a petroleum engineer, he started work at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in April 1982 after the compulsory one-year National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) scheme.
5. He served at NNPC until his voluntary retirement in January 1994 after his call to the ministry.
6. In 1980, Odukoya met Bimbo Williams at the University of Ibadan and the two struck a relationship that led to their marriage in 1984. The marriage produced three children.
6. While alive, charting courses and re-engineering destinies of men and women, he buried his father and mother.
7. He interred his first, lovely wife, Pastor Bimbo who on 10 December 2005, died along with 102 other people, in a crashed Sosoliso Airlines Flight 1145.
8. He Pulled through and got remarried to a South African, Rosemary Simangele Zulu (Nomthi), on January 5, 2010. They had two sons: Timileyin and Jomiloju.
9. In 2014, nine years after the death of his first wife, Odukoya readdressed the matter of the plane crash that made him a widower. He claimed that pastors were well advised to use private jets: that such aircraft better facilitate pastoral ministry and are a safer means of travel than commercial flights.
11. His second wife, Nomthi, passed in November 2021 reportedly of cancer of two years.
12. He also lost his twin sister, Kehinde Hassan, in December 2021.
13. Shortly after the passing of Nomthi, and before the demise of his twin sister, Pastor Odukoya mysteriously fell out with his right hand man in the ministry, Pastor Alfred Ohiani, whom they had been bosom friends since their undergraduate days in the university.
14. Odukoya proclaimed a firm belief in the role of the church in the community and expresses it through several outreach projects including a hospital, an orphanage, a school for destitute children, a farm, a water project which provides boreholes at strategic locations for people who have no access to clean and portable water and a skill acquisition and entrepreneurial institute for the less privileged
15. On 19 April 1997, Taiwo Odukoya set up Discovery for Men and Discovery for Women, non-denominational outreaches to men and women designed to help them maximize their potential. These outreaches reach out to hundreds of thousands of men and women annually through quarterly rallies, mentorship programs and a vocational center to equip them with technical and practical life skills.
Unlike some clerics, no scandal has been linked to the destiny-builder till he breathed his last.
May his blessed soul continue to rest in perfect peace.
(More Info from Wikipedia)