Terrorism

KUJE UPDATE: We Had More Than 38 Assorted Security Agents On Ground Before Terrorists’ Invasion – MGT

Muhammed Abubakar, Reporting

There were well over 38 assorted security agents of the military, Nigeria Police Force, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), the Department of State Security (DSS) and armed squad on ground before terrorists successfully invaded the Kuje Medium Correctional Centre, Abuja late Tuesday night.

This was disclosed on Wednesday afternoon in a statement issued by Public Relations Officer (PRO), Umar Abubakar, a Chief Superintendent of Corrections.

He, however, did not explain how the marauders were still able to execute their dastardly act in spite of the sizable number of security agents on ground.

In the statement, Abubakar disclosed, that 879 inmates actually escaped from the facility during the attack.

According to him, as of the time of the report, 443 fleeing inmates had been recaptured, 551 inmates currently in custody, 443 inmates still at large, four inmates dead and 16 inmates sustained various degrees of injuries.

Abubakar’s statistics is, however, at variance with the one earlier given by the Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi (retd) during a chat with journalists.

Magashi had said the facility had 994 inmates with 600 fleeing and 300 rearrested, adding that 64 of the fleeing 600 were members of Boko Haram.

Meanwhile, CSC Abubakar, while hinting on the latest development in his statement, said DCP Abba Kyari and other VIPs held in the facility did not escape and are safe.

“In furtherance to my earlier press release on the unfortunate attack by gunmen suspected to be terrorists, I wish to state that the attackers broke into the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje using explosive devices through the main entrance and the fence of the facility respectively, killing a personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Custodial Centre and living three (3) personnel of the Nigerian Correctional Service seriously injured.

“A total of 879 inmates escaped from the facility during the unfortunate attack. As at the time of this report, 443 have been recaptured, 551 inmates are currently in custody, 443 inmates are still at large, 4 inmates dead and 16 inmates sustained various degree of injuries and are being treated at the moment.

“However, efforts are ongoing to recapture all fleeing inmates.

“The Service will deploy its Corrections Information Management System (CIMS) in synergy with National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to track all fleeing inmates and return them to custody.

“This is also to confirms to the general public that DCP Abba Kyari and other VIPs held in the facility did not escape. They are presently in custody, hale and hearty.

“Recall that after the attack at the Medium Custodial Centre in Agbolongo, Oyo State, the Honourable Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, met with the heads of the security agencies under his supervision where the idea of Joint Security Task Force, comprising the Nigerian Correctional Service, Nigerian Immigration Service, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps was formed to forestall further breaches on custodial facilities.

“As of the time of the attack on the Kuje facility, we have 38 military personnel on ground in addition to personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, Civil Defence, DSS and our Armed Squad.

“This is the Minister’s efforts to rejig the security architecture of our facilities.

“The public is also informed that some of the attackers were killed while some escaped with gunshot wounds.

“We therefore appeal to hospitals and other medical institutions and practitioners to report anyone that comes to them for treatment for gunshot injuries to the nearest law enforcement agency.

“The Controller General of Corrections Haliru Nababa FICMC, mni appreciates the efforts of other security agencies for coming to the rescue of the Service in a timely manner.

“He calls on the public to volunteer useful information that may lead to the arrest of the fleeing inmates.

“The CG has reassured the public that the unfortunate incident is been handled with every sense of dedication and professionalism.

“He further extends his condolence to the families of those who lost their lives during the attack and wishes the injured ones a quick recovery,” he stated.

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in:Terrorism

0 %