Muhammed Abubakar, Reporting
ABUJA — A three-storey building still under construction collapsed in Abuja’s Gudu District on Saturday morning, killing at least five people and leaving several others injured.
Rescue crews remain at the scene, with fears that more victims could still be trapped beneath the debris.
The incident occurred around 8:30am behind Gudu Market, in the Durumi 3 area, while workers were present on site.
Nkechi Isa, Head of Public Affairs at the Federal Emergency Management Department, confirmed the collapse and said search operations were ongoing.
“Search and rescue operations are ongoing as emergency responders battle to rescue more persons trapped in the rubble of a collapsed three storey building at the Gudu District in the FCT,” Isa said.
So far, 16 people have been pulled from the wreckage. Of those, 11 were taken to Federal Medical Centre Abuja, Asokoro District Hospital, and Maitama Hospital for treatment. Ms Isa added that five others did not survive.
In a dramatic development later on Saturday, one person was rescued alive after having been buried under the rubble for more than nine hours. Dr Dolapo Fasawe, Mandate Secretary of the FCTA Health Services and Environment Secretariat, personally attended to the survivor at the scene before he was transferred to hospital.
Dr Fasawe also conveyed that the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had ordered free medical treatment for all casualties.
Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media to the FCT Minister, confirmed five fatalities and said 11 people were recovering as of his most recent update.
Agencies involved in the rescue effort include the FCT Emergency Management Agency, the Federal Fire Service, the FCT Fire Service, the FCT Police Command, the Nigerian Army, the Federal Road Safety Corps, as well as medical teams and other support units.
Firefighters, health workers, security personnel and local volunteers are all taking part in the operation, while residents have gathered nearby, anxiously awaiting news.
Officials say further details will be released as the operation continues.










