GMT | --:--:--

(VIDEO) Abducted Oyo Schoolchildren, Teachers Rescued

Some Powerful Nigerians Plotting to Remove Tinubu Through Coup – Primate Ayodele

Ebenezer Adurokiya, Reporting 


Eight kidnappers arrested in operation, no ransom paid, says presidential spokesperson

ALL schoolchildren and teachers abducted by suspected bandits in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have been successfully rescued, the Presidency has confirmed.

In a statement released on Friday, presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga announced that the victims were freed through the coordinated efforts of security agencies.

Oyo Lifts Curfew in 10 LGAs Following Kidnapping Crisis
Oyo State Governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde

“Finally, all the kidnapped pupils and teachers in Oriire, Oyo State, have been rescued by our security agencies,” Mr Onanuga said.

He confirmed that eight members of the kidnapping gang were arrested during the rescue operation and are now in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS). Several other suspects were neutralised in the course of the operation.

Mr Onanuga emphasised that the rescue mission involved no exchange or concessions to the kidnappers.

He noted that a notorious gang leader, whose release had been demanded by the abductors, remains in custody and is currently being prosecuted for his alleged crimes.

“There was no quid pro quo in the rescue, as one of the terrorists, a kingpin whose release was demanded by the kidnappers, is being prosecuted for his atrocities,” Mr Onanuga stated. “The security agencies will give full account soon.”

In a video shared alongside the statement, a woman believed to be one of the rescued teachers expressed gratitude to President Bola Tinubu for securing their release.

The schoolchildren were seen eating biscuits and joining the teacher in chanting “Thank you, sir” at the end of her remarks.

“Hello sir, our father, we are grateful. Mr President, sir, we are grateful. We understand your commitment to our safety and we appreciate all you did for us.

“We could see your hand in this,” the teacher said. “Every security operative tried so much, and that is why we are still alive today. We are very grateful to you. Thank you very much.”

The abduction had sparked widespread outrage and protests across the state, with the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) holding rallies in Oyo, Kano and other states to demand the safe return of their colleagues and the pupils.

The Senate had also pushed for the victims’ rescue while rejecting calls for a military spending audit in relation to the incident.

Security agencies are expected to provide a full operational account in the coming days.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *