GMT | --:--:--

Amnesty Sounds Alarm Over ‘Decade of Impunity’ in South-East, Demands Justice

AMNESTY International has relaunched two scathing reports documenting alleged human rights abuses in Nigeria’s South-East, urging the government to end a culture of impunity and hold perpetrators of unlawful killings, torture, and abductions to account.

The reports, “A Decade of Impunity: Attacks and Unlawful Killings in South-East Nigeria” and “Tiger Base of Atrocities: Human Rights Violations by Nigeria Police Anti-Kidnapping Unit in Owerri,” were presented at a town hall meeting in Umuahia, Abia State, on Wednesday.

Amnesty’s Finance and Office Manager, Benedicta Ofili, revealed that the organisation documented at least 1,844 deaths between 2021 and mid-2023 across Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, and Imo states . She described the region as being caught in a “brutal crossfire” involving non-state armed groups, state-backed outfits, and heavy-handed security operations.

‘Tiger Base’ Under Fire

Particular concern was raised over the activities of the Imo State Police Command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit, known as “Tiger Base.” The unit stands accused of becoming a hub for human rights abuses, including prolonged arbitrary detention, torture, extortion, and enforced disappearances.

Amnesty researcher Maurice Chukwu told the gathering that allegations against Tiger Base included the illegal separation of children from detained mothers without official records, and deaths in custody . The organisation interviewed 23 former detainees, including 14 women, who recounted horrific experiences of torture and squalid conditions . Tragically, three of those interviewed reportedly died after their detention.

Heartbreaking Testimonies

The presentation was punctuated by raw emotion as relatives of missing persons gave tearful testimonies, many crying out, “we don’t know where they are.”

· Miriam Onyema sobbed as she recounted her husband Kingsley Chinedu’s arrest in Imo State on April 25, 2021, where he was labelled a member of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) .

· Nicolas Ejekwu, an elderly man, gave a particularly harrowing account. He tearfully alleged that soldiers arrested his two sons, Obinna and Onyebuchi, at home. He claims he was later told they had been tortured and killed, with their bodies deposited at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) mortuary in Umuahia . He further alleged that over 50 bodies of youths, reportedly killed by security forces on suspicion of IPOB membership, were found at the mortuary.

The families of the missing have appealed to both Amnesty and the government to help locate their loved ones, insisting that those arrested should be charged in a court of law rather than being held indefinitely.

Call for Action and Response

Amnesty International demanded immediate independent investigations into the allegations, the prosecution of perpetrators, reparations for victims, and stronger accountability mechanisms at both state and federal levels.

The organisation also highlighted the broader impact of the insecurity, noting it has caused widespread displacement, disrupted education, destroyed livelihoods, and restricted movement due to enforced sit-at-home orders.

In response, the Abia State Attorney General, represented by Chinenye Onyemanonu, stated the state government has zero tolerance for human rights abuses. He noted that complaints are forwarded to the Citizens’ Rights Department and cited a recent case where a family detained for six months was rescued.

Human rights activist Samuel Agwu called on rights groups to ensure victims receive justice and legal representation, urging an end to what he described as a deep-seated culture of impunity in the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *